I wasn’t sure what I would learn when I set out in March, 5 months ago. I knew I had a lot of experiences ahead of me but I was thinking less about the lessons I would learn along the way. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Always carry food and water. Or at least some cash.
- Don’t wait until the last pair of underwear.
- You will be sad and crabby some days, but at least you will be sad and crabby somewhere exotic.
- You can buy deoderant, toothpaste, and sunblock wherever you are going. Don’t try to pack enough for the entirety of your trip.
- Some people will try to hustle you. But most are just being friendly. Be friendly back.
- You can choose not to have traveler’s FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). Don’t try to follow someone else’s travel plans or worry that you missed something. You can’t see and do everything you “absolutely have” to do. Do what you want to do.
- The bus will get there when it gets there. Have patience. And a candy bar.